I am a Recent College Graduate with Little Work Experience
Add an Objective or Summary at Top
- Market yourself by creating a tailored objective or summary to show your interest in the position for which you are applying. Make sure this section is relevant, shows your interest, includes keywords from the job description and clearly states why you are sending this employer your resume in the first place
Include Relevant Coursework and Educational Background
- List classes you have taken that show you have a solid educational background for the specific job
- Have you worked on any course projects that are relevant to the job for which you are applying?
- Did you do a senior capstone project that contributes to your skill set?
- Did you write a senior thesis paper?
- Have you been involved in research?
- Have you worked closely with a professor on anything?
Include Leadership Experience
- Work experience isn’t the only thing that will help you land a job. Be sure to show active involvement in student groups, clubs or affiliations
- Include general, transferrable skills that will help you succeed in the job which which you are applying (i.e. Did you initiate a program? Did you coordinate an event? Did you lead a group? Did you solve a problem?)
Include Community Involvement and Volunteer Work
- Do you volunteer regularly in the community?
- Have you been on any community service related trips?
Include Internship Experience – Paid or Unpaid
- Just because you didn’t get paid does not mean you did not gain valuable experience
- Include all internships on your resume, even if they were unpaid or part-time