My Resume is Too Short
Ways to Lengthen Your Resume:
Include an Objective or Summary at the Top
- Market yourself by creating a tailored summary to show your interest in the position for which you are applying. Make sure this section is relevant, shows your interest, includes keywords from the job description and clearly states why you are sending this employer your resume in the first place
Add Specialized Skills
- Are you fluent in a foreign language?
- Do you have specialized computer or technical skills?
- Have you won awards, honors, recognitions?
- Do you have any publications or patents?
Add Affiliations and Networks
- Are you part of any professional affiliations?
- Are you involved in networking associations?
- Are you a member of any clubs or groups?
Add Community Involvement
- Do you volunteer on a regular basis?
- Have you been on community service trips?
Are You Forgetting Anything?
- Think back and make sure you aren’t forgetting any of your major accomplishments
- Even if you don’t have a lot of work experience, you can mention special projects you have led or major assignments you have completed. Elaborate on the work you have done by giving a brief description of these projects and highlighting your experience and skill set
- Font size should be between 10 and 12 – Do not enlarge font above size 12
- Keep margins between 0.5 and 1.25 inches wide