Questions to Ask the Employer
It is important to prepare a few intelligent questions to ask your potential employer. If you haven’t prepared any questions, it shows that the interview does not take priority to you. If you ask questions about information that is stated on the website, it shows you did not adequately prepare. Be sure to think about this carefully!
Questions About the Company
- Can you describe the organizational culture of this company?
- What is this company’s five-year vision?
- What characteristics do the top performers of this company share?
- What challenges is this company or department facing right now?
- Do you provide any sort of professional development or training programs?
- What is the company’s policy on corporate social responsibility?
- Does the company plan to expand? What are the plans for growth?
- What are the company’s strengths and weaknesses compared to its competitors?
- Could you explain the organizational structure?
- How does the company intend to remain competitive?
Questions About the Department
- What are the most pressing issues this department is facing right now?
- What are the department’s long-term goals in the years to come?
- How big is the department? Could you explain the departmental structure?
- How often does the department meet as a whole?
- Would I be working with other members in the department on a regular basis?
Questions About the Position
- What kinds of skills and personality traits are needed to succeed in this position?
- In what areas has someone failed in this role?
- Can you describe a typical day for someone in this position?
- What are some examples of achievements of others who have been in this position?
- Why is this position open?
- How many people have held this job in the last five years? Why did they leave and where are they now?
- Why isn’t this job being filled from within?
- What would you like done differently by the next person who fills this position?
- Are there opportunities for growth and advancement?
- How do you measure performance and how often is it reviewed?
- What kind of work can I expect to be doing the first year?
Questions About the Interviewer
- How did you get to the position you currently hold? What was your career path?
- What is your management style?
- How often would we meet together?
- Why did you decide to work here? What keeps you here?
- Are you planning any major changes in the department which would affect this role?
Questions About Future Steps
- How soon do you expect to make a decision?
- When are you looking to have someone start?